Saturday, September 1, 2012

The 2011-2012 Whitfies



Hello everyone and welcome to the first annual Whitfie Award Blog Post!

The Whitfies (pronounced “whit-fees”) are handed out to the winners of various nonsensical categories. Stuff that was released between August 2011 and August 2012 are eligible for one of my theoretical awards.

FAQ

Q: Why are the awards called the “Whitfies”?
A: Because it’s my blog’s awards and the “Whitfields” sound too much like a terrible CBS sitcoms from the 1950s. “Whitfie” comes from my GMU email address; those bastards were too cheap to afford those last two letters, but it’s grown on me over these last few years.

Q: Why is the award show now, just a few months after the year’s halfway point?
A: So I can pit games/films/stuff that normally would never be forced to compete with each other. Finally a chance for the “The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings” (released May 2011) and “Deus Ex: Human Revolution” (released August 2012) to compete for a meaningless award! So many potential flame wars!

Q: What are the categories and how are they judged?
A: Since only I’m in charge of the Whitfies, the categories could be anything I want, and they’ll be judged any way I want. The “Best Box Art” award could go to “Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim” because I liked how Bethesda released a gimped version of it for the PS3, just sending forums ablaze with rage. It’s a dictatorship, I do what I want for whatever reason I want.

Right then, onto the actual awards:

The Whitfie for “Worst First Person Shooter”:

This Whitfie is given to the game/film, when judged as a first person shooter, is the worst FPS. And the award goes to…



“Rayman Origins!”
Image stolen from GiantBomb

Why:

Don’t get me wrong: I LOVE “Rayman Origins.” It’s colorful, it’s creative…it’s just fun, but it’s a terrible first person shooter. First of all, you don’t even play the game from a first person perspective. Points off for that. Secondly, it’s colorful, it’s creative…it’s just fun. You know what FPS fits that description? Doom. That’s right; RO is as good as a nearly 20 year old game. Pathetic. And even when you do get to shoot stuff in the game, “Rayman Origins” does it all wrong: you’re shooting from the side, you’re on rails, and you have to avoid stuff.

But it’s still a great platformer.

The Whitfie for “Best Reboot”:

With Hollywood and the video games industry remaking everything under the sun, this Whitfie is given to the best reboot of a film, game, or sneaker. And the award goes to…


“Total Recall!”
Image stolen from SlashFilm

Why:

Although I haven’t seen the remake, I can still write about the film because this is the Internet, where people complain about stuff they haven’t experienced. From what I’ve read/heard/etc. the film is awful, and the “best” parts of the film are when they’re referencing lines/jokes from the original film (ex. 3 breasted lady,  2 weeks). So, why does it win the Whitfie?

Because they’ve pulled a New Coke.

In the 1980’s, The Coca-Cola Company tried to reboot Coke with New Coke, a new drink  with a new formula. It bombed, massively. So much so, that when they brought back Coke, which they rebranded as “Coca Cola Classic,” they had a massive sales spike. I think they intentionally made a terrible “Total Recall” reboot so that Sony can bring back Paul Verhoeven and Arnold Schwarzenegger for “Total Recall 2.”

Or perhaps I’m giving Sony too much credit. I feel theories both have merit.

The Whitfie for “Not Worst/Not Best Thing

This Whitfie is given to the most average thing; it wasn’t the worst, it wasn’t the best, it’s just the forgettable middle child. And the award goes to…



“Deathspank: Thongs of Virtue!”
Image stolen from GiantBomb

Why:

I really like “Deathspank.” The humor was kind of butchered by the delivery and the combat got repetitive, but its charm eclipsed its faults. So why did the sequel end up with this prestigious award?

Because, even though it’s technically a sequel, it’s the second half of the “Deathspank” game. Apparently, the original game was too large, so they cut it in half: the first half was the original “Deathspank” and the second half was “Deathspank: Thongs of Virtue.” Therefore, because the sequel was designed as the second half of a big game, it’s just more of the same, for better and for worse. Maybe “The Baconing” is better, but seeing as Ron Gilbert wasn’t involved with it and they didn’t even think putting “Deathspank” in the title would help sales, I doubt it. I’ll miss you, slowly rotating world orb-thing.

The Whitfie for “Best Thing that Restored My Faith in Humanity that wasn’t Super Meaningful”:

This Whitfie is given to whatever that makes me believe in people. However, the recipient of this award can’t really be too meaningful, like peace in the Middle East or someone taking a bullet for someone else. And the award goes to…



“The Avengers!”
Image stolen from SlashFilm

Why:

Remember how comic books and super heroes were considered uncool? “The Avengers,” not only critically acclaimed, is also the third (possibly second) highest grossing film of all time. In addition to that, Joss Whedon is finally getting the success he deserves. Plus, it validates Whitfield’s Law: “If the nerd community really likes something, there’s a very high change it’ll become mainstream in the future.”

The Whitfie for “Worst M&M”:

This Whitfie is given to the M&M I ate that I liked the least. I eat a lot of M&M’s. And the award goes to…



“That One Blue Peanut M&M”
Image stolen from thelifefiles.com

Why:

I judge the quality of an M&M the opposite way I judge a mannequin’s physical attractiveness: they’re good if they’re deformed, asymmetrical, and they’re not good at showing off clothing and clothing accessories. It was just a normal Peanut M&M, and for the crime of being average, it wins this award (posthumously).

The Whitfie for “Best August Video Game I Didn’t’ Play”:

This Whitfie is given to the video game that was released either in August 2011 or August 2012 that, though I have not played, is probably pretty awesome. And the award goes to…



“Deus Ex: Human Revolution!”
Image stolen from GiantBomb

Why:

I can do this in the game.


Well, that’s it for this Whitfie Award Blog Post. Check back next year to read more of my bullshit awards!

No comments:

Post a Comment